Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happenings 1/19/09 - 1/25/09

Another week gone by without any news of a baby. It is still a week early, but it is now the longest JJ has gone before having a baby, and she is really feeling tired and pain. (I am grumpy - I have an appointment this next week and I am very hopeful something has happened by then)

Murray State was out on Monday for MLK Jr. Day, so I stayed home with the girls while JJ went to work. It was fun to hang out with them and get some things done around the house. I am trying to finish up a few small projects that I began during the holidays, and Claire is helpful but Rachel is not really so. They went with me to Lowe’s and were very good as we looked at a few things and picked up some caulking.


(Tuesday I took Rachel and Claire to Rachel's storytime and they both had a great time. Rachel was really getting into the songs and the actions which is fun to watch. If I haven't had this baby soon, I am going to have to request a chair to sit in because sitting on the floor is getting uncomfortable and it's taking me awhile to get up off the floor.)


On Wednesday the babysitters (Lauren and Lauren) worked their last day for a few weeks because JJ’s mom arrived this week. I took Claire to storytime and then after JJ came home in the evening I went to the YM/YW joint activity, and joined them in playing volleyball. I like the interaction with the youth that we have in the bishopric.

My classes are going quite well — I really like the discussions that we have as a class, though I’m not sure if all the students are enjoying it as much as I and others are. But this semester has really made me excited for teaching. One of the classes is not a required class, which makes a huge difference, and the other is full of overacheivers, and so far they are fun and not annoying.

Thursday after my classes were over I went home and we all headed for Nashville to pick up Judy. Even the day before I wasn’t planning on going, and then thought of the reality of situation and couldn’t reconcile staying home while a very pregnant wife and kids were on the road by themselves. So I drove. (I was planning on going without him and just figured if something happened, we would try to find the nearest hospital. Mom even brought her GPS system so that we could find a hospital with it if we had to. But my good hubby finally realized that a it may be a little less risky if he came along - Im not sure Claire would be good with delivering a baby.) We made it there just a little after Judy arrived, and then we ate supper at Bob Evans restaurant, then came home without incident.

Friday I put in a long day at work doing some writing and then attending a faculty meeting where I explained to all the faculty the new composition course that is going to be put in place in the Fall. No one had any questions at that point, but I’m sure they will as soon as they find out they will be teaching the course when our Fall schedules are set in the next few weeks. I have a lot of work ahead of me on this course, because along with it, we are creating a custom student handbook that needs to be finished by June. So it is a busy semester. We hung out at home on Friday evening.

Saturday was a busy and productive day for me. I ran in the morning, and then finished painting the toy box I made, cleaned up some more in the garage, and made a shelf for one of our kitchen cabinets. We bought new pots and pans, and wanted to rearrange a few things in the kitchen, and we needed one more shelf. Fortunately, I had a piece of wood that I was able to cut and it fit right in. I also cleaned our bathrooms and had a little time to finish reading one book and start and finish Persepolis, a sort of comic book that JJ is reading for her book club next month. (Mom, Claire and Rachel and I went shopping for a book case that I have been wanting. We went to a few different stores and even the Peddler's Market, but went back to the first place I had looked. I was very excited because I have been wanting this bookcase for quite some time now.) In the evening, we went out to eat at a mexican restaurant, then I took Claire to the Murray State basketball game. We made it just at the end of the women’s game, so Claire was able to play on the kids’ inflatable things until the game started, and then she ate her free popcorn while we watched the first half, and then we went home so she wouldn’t be up to late. I wasn’t in doubt about the Racers winning, although they didn’t start too well. The team they played haven’t won a conference game yet.

On Sunday, I went to the meetings in the morning and then JJ, Rachel, and Judy went home after sacrament because JJ wasn’t feeling really great — she was hoarse with a cough — and so Claire stayed with me after the block was over for a ward potluck and doing tithing. Later I went back for choir practice, but only a few of us showed up and I was the only guy, so we didn’t really sing. We are planning to do an Easter sacrament meeting program, but the organizer is very ambitious. First, she wanted to do a community program, but more realistic ideas prevailed — we don’t have a choir at all now and most of us who want to sing didn’t want to debut to the community or to an empty chapel because no one is interested. Anyway, when I got home the young single adults had just arrived and they stayed for awhile after their lesson playing a game called Apples to Apples, which was fun. They had been talking amongst themselves about next week, because of the Super Bowl, and wondered if they could watch it after a lesson. I said that it would be fine, but if anyone asks, I don’t know anything about it.

No comments: