Sunday, March 2, 2008

Happenings 2/25/08 - 3/2/08

First, Happy Birthday Janalyn. We hope you have a nice day even though it is probably cold and snowy there. We had another busy week with some neat things happening.

Tuesday evening we had the missionaries over for dinner and it snowed about 1/2 an inch while they were there. When it started, I didn't think it would stick on the ground, but it did, so for the first time this year the ground was covered with snow. J.J. was supposed to have a book club meeting but it was canceled because of the snow. (I had two book clubs in one night. The first was at church and the other was the Murray State women's group. The church group still had theirs (most of the women at this one are not from around here and aren't afraid of a bit of snow. I was about 1/2 hour late, but I was glad I went because with me there we had a total of 4 people. That's about what it usually is. The funny thing is, I had read the book for the MSU group, but only got about 1/3 of the way through the book. I hardly ever finish the books for church, but it is always fun to go and talk. The same women go all the time and I enjoy talking to them.) It stayed on the ground all night but was gone pretty quickly in the morning, and amazingly, no schools were canceled.

Wednesday evening I went out with the missionaries to two appointments, one to an investigator family and the other to a new member. It was great to go with them. Thursday was a very busy day for me because of some things happening on campus. MSU hosted a conference on student engagement, and I attended a few of the sessions in the afternoon, and they were good, and then graded some papers before coming home for supper. After supper, I went back to campus to hear the once-a-year presidential lecture, and this year Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. spoke, and it was excellent and rousing. He spoke without notes for 90 minutes, on topics of environmentalism, media, and how nature is intertwined with politics, religion, and families. Lots of people from the campus and the community were there, and I thought it was a great opportunity for a small town like Murray. Last year, apparently, Benazir Bhutto was the speaker. (Thursday, the snow had all melted and there were a couple hours of warm sunshine, so Claire, Rachel and I ventured outside. It was so nice. Claire rode her bike, played school and played on the swingset while Rachel crawled around and crushed leaves and chased balls. Too bad the sun was short lived though. It made me catch a bad case of Spring Fever.)

Friday morning I stayed home with Rachel while J.J. and Claire went to Messy Art, (we came home from messy art with Lucy - Claire's friend and then the two boys I occasionally watch came over so I had a house full of rowdy ones and they wore me out. I don't know what I am going to do next week for Claire's birthday party where 12 or so kids are coming. I am praying for warm weather so we can be outside. It's not looking good so far.) and then I went to work, where I did some more grading, some writing, and attended the luncheon for the conference. That evening we hung out at home.

Saturday J.J. and Claire went to Music Time in the morning, then J.J. went to a scrapbooking party (I forgot to bring stuff to scrapbook, brilliant, but I did have money to buy some things and a mouth to talk.) while I stayed home with Rachel and Claire went to play with her friend Katey outside since it was a nice, sunny day. (My friend Shara came home with me from the scrapbooking party and we sat outside in the beautiful sunshine and visited for a couple hours. It was so nice to relax and enjoy the warm weather and chat. This even worsened my case of spring fever.) In the afternoon, I delivered our old kitchen table to a new member of the ward, and then later we went to dinner with Katey and her mom, Bridget -- her dad was working -- to a catfish restaurant. We all ordered catfish and hushpuppies, and it was all good. (Dad it was the restaurant that we tried to go to when you were here with the big fish out front. When you come, we will definitely have to go there for catfish. It is the best place for that we have found so far.) After we ate, J.J. and Bridget went home with Rachel and I took Katey and Claire to the men's basketball game. We stayed for the first half, and then came home. MSU finished 2nd in the conference and will host one game next Tuesday, and if they win, will go to Austin Peay for the tournament. Maybe they'll get in the big dance, we'll see.

We had a good meeting at church, and it was a very spring-like 70 degrees outside. That will end, though, and we'll be back to cold weather this week (until Saturday hopefully)

We love you all, and hope everything is well.

No comments: